The Education, Engagement, and Data Science Manager (EEDSM) will work with DIAS, STREAM Birr, and TUS outreach teams to continue and expand on the work of The Astronomical Midlands (AstroLands) project at the I-LOFAR Education Centre in Birr, Co. Offaly. This is a specific purpose contract type with expected minimum duration of 1 year. The original AstroLands (funded by SFI Discover between 2019 – 2021) successfully embarked on a regional engagement project that used the astrophysics research activities of I-LOFAR to connect with students, teachers, and members of the public in rural communities in the Midlands that are currently underserved in STEM education.
For a full list of qualifications and duties check the job description on the TUS Midlands website, some highlights are listed below.
Essential qualifications include an honours degree in a relevant field (STEM, Science Communication, Business/Management) and experience in coordinating outreach activities. It is desirable to have experience in science education delivery, and knowledge of Irish STEM research and outreach policy and practices.
- Ability to manage concurrent projects, work independently, take initiative, prioritise, and deliver agreed objectives.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and demonstrable experience of a high level of collaboration and team working, with ability to interact with an array of diverse stakeholders.
- Well-developed IT, presentation, and event management skills.
- Good analytical skills, report writing skills, and ability to write for a variety of media.
- Ability to be responsive and adaptive in line with the nature of the role, including the ability to work flexible hours and travel, as required.
The EEDSM will continue the three initiatives of AstroLands:
- Space4Exploration: Run public events and tours for visitors at the I-LOFAR Education Centre.
- Space4Students: Run space camps for students at the Education Centre during school term and school holidays.
- Space4Teachers: Run STEM CPD workshops at the Education Centre for school teachers.
The EEDSM will recruit and guide university students as “Astronomical Ambassadors” to interact with visitors to Birr and to deliver space camps and teacher workshops.
The EEDSM will further their work through new initiatives in close collaboration with the teams at DIAS, STREAM Birr, and TUS. Engagement with DIAS includes the development of data dive events with charity partners. The EEDSM will assist STREAM Birr in engaging with business audiences in data and space science. The EEDSM will also assist TUS developing graduate STEM programmes at a regional level.
The EEDSM will be expected to work closely with the relevant Birr Castle staff and maintain regular contact with the Management team at DIAS (Prof. Peter Gallagher and Prof. Caitriona Jackman), STREAM Birr (Caitriona Montgomery), and TUS (Dr. Mark Daly and Caitriona Mordan). The EEDSM is expected to provide the Management team with a short monthly progress report.
Go to the TUS Midlands website for a full Job Description and weblink to apply: click here